Sunday, April 5, 2009

South island continues!

We made it over to Fox Glacier on Thursday the 2nd.
We were able to book a tour to hike the glacier the next day. We got up in the morning and headed down to the site where we started the tour. It was a crazy walk to the glacier. There were these two Japanese people that the guide, Jared, had to turn back. It is still strange to me how some people completely over estimate how fit they are. This guy they had to turn around barely made it out of the car park. We had not even begun to climb the 700 stairs!! And yes it was really steep. Really nice calf workout. Walking on the glacier was really cool We went to this one spot that had an ice cave. It was really blue beautiful ice. Funny how hiking in parts of the glacier reminded me of slot canyons only with ice instead of sand stone!! And a little colder!!
On Friday we headed out to Charleston to get in one last climbing area on the south island. It was really nice climbing and perfect weather. I am actually really sad that our South island climbing is done. I wish we would have gotten more climbing in but we got about 13 days. Not to bad, but there is just so much to do here.
Saturday we headed for Hanmer springs. Oh and it was Stacy's birthday. We sat in the springs for a few hours. It was nice, but not nearly as nice as Pagosa Spring. I am so spoiled by that place. This place was nice but really there were way too many people in a small area. But it was good to soak in a hot spring and relax. Then of course we drank. I mean it was after all Stacy's birthday!!
Sunday we headed to Kaikora for a whale watching trip. The trip was canceled due to lack of Sperm whales. I guess they were too far out to sea. So we rescheduled for today. We just got back from that trip. It was kind of a bust. No whales, hell not much of anything but a few Albatrosses. But we got a 80 percent refund so it was totally worth it.
So now I think we are headed north and to the north island in a few days. I am looking forward to doing some more climbing. It should be fun.
And c an I just say that I am already having nightmares about actually having to work again.!! Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment